In order to ensure smiles all around, we've thrown together a pretty list of guidelines.
We don't think we're asking for much - just common sense and a general respect for your fellow complainers.General Behavior
Posting Topics & Messages
- People come here for advice, comfort, and more importantly, to feel safe from the evils in their rants. Negative behavior such as racism, homophobia, picking fights, ridiculing and flaming is not welcome here, and will ensure your account getting banned. If you have a point, make it constructively and respectfully.
- Personal attacks and fights do not belong on ISFAT. We don't expect you to get on with everyone, however, acting like 2 year olds over a Barbie doll is not something we need to be subjected to.
- Don't use the forums to have personal conversations, post private jokes, or discuss matters that no one but you and your buddy would understand. We have a personal message system for that. For more details about this rule, please see this topic, and more specifically, this post.
- Don't refer to members by anything other than their username. Even if you know the member (for example, you're friends in real life), it's still unfair and confusing for others. However, if people introduce themselves with their first name, by all means, knock yourself out. Really, take your fist and knock yourself out.
Replying to others
- Search for existing topics before creating new ones.
- Don't post your topic in multiple forums - pick a spot and go for it. If you posted a topic in the wrong forum, a moderator will most likely correct this for you.
- Don't present your opinions as facts.
- Use proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. You're not writing an 'About Me' for Myspace. If you expect people to read or reply to your posts, at least make sure they can understand it in the first place.
- Don't just post stuff like "LOL" – try to add something constructive to the conversation. Take a look at our view on censorship for more info.
- Stay on topic. ISFAT categories should only be used to post and reply to ISFATs. If you feel a thread is going off-topic, you're welcome to start a new thread for the off-topic material.
- Don't post pornography, adult content or any other illegal media.
- Personal information is a no-no. Posting private info (such as phone numbers, home addresses, and credit card numbers) is not allowed.
- Don't whore your site or advertise in your posts. You may, however, advertise in your signature or your profile.
- If you come across a post with horrible spelling - don't be a jerk about it. Just politely ask the poster to write a bit more neatly and then move on to focus on what they're ranting about.
- Don't keep posting the same opinion again and again. We heard you. Chillax and move on.
- Don't suck the fun out of a topic that others might enjoy. If your only view of a topic is that it holds as much importance as a Charmed episode, then just shut up and move on to the next topic that appeals to you.
- Don't scrutinize the legitimacy of a rant. Some people come here for advice, so we shouldn't assume a post is fictional. Granted, there are certainly different levels of belief. Assuming in these situations can be very dangerous - so if you do suspect something is odd, the matter being presented should still be the focus of your reply.
Complaints & Moderator Warnings
- Keep your signature to a reasonable size, preferably limiting the number of images. Your signature should not be bigger than 6 lines. This helps us ensure that the time it takes to scroll past your signature doesn't warrant an ISFAT of its own.
- Fight for what's yours and stand up for the community we should be. If you get annoyed by someone posting off-topic, spamming, or treating someone else poorly, then SPEAK UP - it's your site too. If you don't want to get in their face about it, you are encouraged to use the "report" button next to each post. This will alert a moderator about that particular post.
- We love hearing from our members. If you have a suggestion or issue regarding the site, feel free to post it in our Feedback forum or send a staff member a personal message. Just remember to keep all feedback constructive, brush your teeth before bed, and eat your vegetables.
- Respect the staff. We're real people too. You may not always agree with everything a staff member does, but it is important that every member of our staff be treated with respect, just like other members.
- If you have a disagreement with a particular moderator, it should be addressed to the moderator in personal message. If you ever feel harassed by a staff member, please contact evil.
- It's a deeply embedded belief of ISFAT's to provide acceptance wherever we possibly can. But those who abuse that love and luxury will be treated the exact same way they treat others.
These points are less like guidelines, but more like stating the common sense that should be applied when using the site. Cases will be dealt with on an individual basis.