Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /home/slosp/other_publics/isfat.com/forum/init.php on line 270

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /home/slosp/other_publics/isfat.com/forum/init.php on line 270
Culturally significant books - ISFAT
Culturally significant books
Fedora.Pirate
Group Icon
King of the playground!

post May 21 2007, 05:39 AM Post #1
Post the books which you think everyone should read at least once, just to have read them because they're so significant. This is not meant to be a list of your favourite books. For example you might put Harry Potter down because of it's shear popularity and how often it's referenced in Pop Culture, but not because you thought it was a brilliant read. I hope that makes sense.
For me it'd be:
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. The number of time this has been referenced in this forum alone should be enough. If you haven't read this, you've made writing Essays for English twice as hard for yourself, you can reference this for almost anything political.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Such a confronting novel, the film is often referenced in Popular Culture, now see where it all started. If nothing else you'll at least come out with an arsenal of interesting quotes.

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of them at the moment.

+Quote Post
Advertisements

post May 21 2007, 05:39 AM

Start new topic
Replies
kimbanator
Group Icon
feel the wrath of the kimbanator

post Jun 7 2007, 03:29 AM Post #2
I Love his dark materials by Phillip Pullman!!!!!!!!! :

last year, My history teacher sang the song in Animal Farm in the middle of class!!! (shudder) but it's also a very good book.

I suggest reading Khaled Houseini's the Kite Runner, its comming out as a movie soon too . But i reccomend reading the book. It gives an insight to the political turmoil that has occured in Afghanistan for decades or since the dawn of time by the way you look at it, and the importance of standing up for what you believe in no matter the status quo, but also the wayn in which culture and the status quo bars us from or descriminates society.

But I would say if you can hack the hard core language, Give Frankenstein by Mary Shelley a chance as it tells of the importance of not letting ambitions take over you and that sometimes different scientific research should be left alone. But most importantly it conveys that those who are descriminated in society are alone because no one accepts their differences, and this creates conflict. Frankentstein (the scientist) rejects his monster who comes after him to revenge the neglect he was shown from the moment he woke up because of his sheer ugliness.

This post has been edited by kimbanator: Jun 7 2007, 03:37 AM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Fedora.Pirate   Culturally significant books   May 21 2007, 05:39 AM
- - Lily   Skinny by Ibi Kaslik- Is about an anorexic girl an...   May 21 2007, 06:05 AM
- - lozinabox   The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a good book ...   May 21 2007, 08:42 AM
- - slurpee   Lord Of the Rings i dont care how borring you thi...   May 21 2007, 08:49 AM
- - Lily   Ive got another one too add: My Sisters Keeper by...   May 21 2007, 08:55 AM
- - chicken wing   Slurpee i 2nd that. LOTR is a perfect book for thi...   May 21 2007, 09:02 AM
- - sky   i thought that book was alright until i wrote the ...   May 21 2007, 09:25 AM
- - lozinabox   agreed. except for romeo and juliet. its always be...   May 21 2007, 11:29 AM
- - sexy   the curious incident of the dog in the night-time ...   May 22 2007, 06:30 AM
- - lozinabox   i also heard from an english teacher that the curi...   May 22 2007, 06:50 AM
- - sexy   well then your english teacher is stoopid, its an ...   May 22 2007, 06:58 AM
- - Ashfish   QUOTE (Lily @ May 21 2007, 10:16 AM) Ive ...   May 24 2007, 08:06 PM
- - Lily   OMGOSH YOU LUCKY THING!! My mums read ALL ...   May 26 2007, 04:42 AM
- - slurpee   another couple for the fantacy collection His dar...   May 26 2007, 06:34 AM
- - Casper   The Wife of Martin Guerre by Janet Lewis Tells the...   May 28 2007, 07:30 AM
- - kiki   there are a number of books that come to mind in r...   Jun 7 2007, 05:27 AM
- - chicken wing   ahh. The Great Gatsby- what a fantastic read!   Jun 7 2007, 05:35 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Aug 2014 - 03:00 PM