Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /home/slosp/other_publics/isfat.com/forum/init.php on line 270

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /home/slosp/other_publics/isfat.com/forum/init.php on line 270
Help me decide what I'm doing with my life? - ISFAT
Help me decide what I'm doing with my life?

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bambi
Group Icon
As dumb as a disney character...

post Jul 21 2008, 11:41 AM Post #1
For and against points. Kay? I need opinions from people who are not my parents.

Box Hill Senior Secondary

RMIT

Sherbrooke Community School

Swinburne

+Quote Post
Advertisements

post Jul 21 2008, 11:41 AM

kiki
Group Icon
angry. want eggs.

post Jul 21 2008, 01:33 PM Post #2
...it depends on what you want to get into. All universities and high schools have areas in which they are particularly good at, and areas in which they are particularly...substandard. There is not one school in Victoria that encompasses every aspect of education at a good standard.
+Quote Post
chicken wing
Group Icon
The Predatory Wasps of the Palasaides are out to get us!!

post Jul 22 2008, 01:18 AM Post #3
I agree with kiki. Also you need to assess why you want to change your education? For what reasons are they? and try and find which place can suit you by seeing whether or not they have these negatives.

If you would like our opinion, may we have a bit more information.
+Quote Post
Bambi
Group Icon

post Jul 22 2008, 05:11 AM Post #4
Well basically I'm thinking about changing schools for next year. I go to sherbrooke(3rd link) but it can't offer all my classes next year.

If it helps any the subjects I really want to do are

English (duh)
Maths methods
Certificate III in music (Technical production)

And possibly
Certificate III in multimedia (I think I finish certificate II at the end of the year?)

Possibly I.T as well. I finish certificate III at the end of the year so I'm not sure what I could do next.

And possibly International Politics since I'm doing that now. Not sure if I really want to though.
+Quote Post
kimbanator
Group Icon
feel the wrath of the kimbanator

post Jul 22 2008, 08:13 AM Post #5
Well I've heard that Box Hill Secondary is not too bad, but that is comming from someone who went there and did all the artistic subjects, but generally she didn't mind that school.

Have you been to visit those schools or their open nights etc? Because the way you feel when you walk around the place and talk to people can make a lot of difference.
+Quote Post
lozinabox
Group Icon
resident nerd

post Jul 22 2008, 08:23 AM Post #6
Okay Bambi is there a restriction on the number of VET subjects that you can do? I didn't do any and didnt have any interest in doing any so I didnt have to deal with it. However- check it out if you are unsure.

Other than that- check out schools and stuff on their open days. Don't worry about English so much (unless you want to ace it) because everywhere that has VCE offers it (except for maybe some international schools?)

Maths Methods is also kinda trivial except for maybe at some technical colleges (still check if the school offers it and all that jazz).

The main ones you will need to check out will be the VET ones as they aren't as commonly offered.

As for IT.... if you finish Certificate III at the end of the year, unless there is a restriction on it combined with VCE IT subjects or there is a Certificate IV, you may need to choose another subject that you are interested in. If you do methods you may like to do Further Maths as well.. or even a totally different subject like History or Legal Studies.

Whatever floats your boat wink.gif

However, I highly recommend going to Open Days.. and if they don't have any.. make a booking to check out the institutions. You need to make the choice that will work best for you. Its best to do this by being well informed of what you are going to get yourself into in 2 very important years of your schooling life.

Also look at where these courses could lead you.. Would being at RMIT help you get into a Tertiary Bachelor Degree course with them or would somewhere else benefit you?

I think you need to start investigating all angles. It is your future after all wink.gif

Goodluck!

for info on subjects, etc... check out Victorian Cirriculum and Assessment Authority at www.vcaa.vic.edu.au

or.. uni/tertiary (inc tafe) courses check out Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre at www.vtac.edu.au

This post has been edited by lozinabox: Jul 22 2008, 08:25 AM
+Quote Post
Bambi
Group Icon

post Jul 22 2008, 10:21 AM Post #7
I'm going to go to the open days and whatever soonish. One is next week and I think another of them is in about a fortnight. I guess I'll ask questions then.
+Quote Post
Fridgemagnet
Group Icon
Keeper of the Orange Marmelade

post Jul 22 2008, 10:56 AM Post #8
Another thing, if you're interested in VET subjects, see if the schools allow you to do a VET externally, you might be able to get one more subject that the institution didn't offer.
+Quote Post
lozinabox
Group Icon
resident nerd

post Jul 22 2008, 12:23 PM Post #9
thats a good point that I forgot about Fridgemagnet.
+Quote Post
Sam
Group Icon
Meep Meep

post Jul 23 2008, 05:12 AM Post #10
Box hill secondary is pretty average in my opinion i know a lot of people that go there that say they love it but i think it's just more of the social aspect. If music industry, sound Technion is in your direction box hill is really good. But more multimedia stuff RMIT is the best.

Some other uni's are JMC academy (private uni so big bucks)
Victoria uni has a sound Technion and music industry event management.

That's just what I was looking at it sounded a bit similar to me.
Hope that helps!
+Quote Post
roboito
Group Icon
Do love me like you hold me? Because you hold me like you love m

post Jul 23 2008, 08:48 AM Post #11
HEY MY GIRL IN LEATHER,

I think you would rock at swinny!!! because the subjects are good, the people are nice and Im there, so u know ur mother will love that *cough*
meanwhile, good idea k, we could catch the train together, eh eh, lol

kk but box hill is also good, and yer so
GOOD LUcK
+Quote Post
Kelevra
Group Icon
Bad dog

post Jul 27 2008, 09:47 AM Post #12
Uh, i must be insane. I read your first post and thought why do you have to decide to do anything now? all you will be doing is making an uninformed decision. I didn't even read your options because really that's not important, what is important is that you have the time you need to decide what you really want to do. Theres no rush and don't let anyone tell you different.
+Quote Post
Fridgemagnet
Group Icon
Keeper of the Orange Marmelade

post Jul 27 2008, 10:42 AM Post #13
Actually, good point. I mean, even if you find it difficult to make a decision by the end of the year (or whenever), most places will let you defer and leave the course open for you to go into later.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Apr 2014 - 10:19 AM